Caring And Committed Legal Counsel

Child support and denied parenting time: A frustrating situation

On Behalf of | May 15, 2024 | Family Law |

Many parents in the Keystone State find themselves in a difficult situation. Having to fulfill court-ordered child support payments despite limited or no parenting time with their children. This can be emotionally and financially draining. 

Some may even wonder if they should stop paying child support if they’re not allowed to see their kids. The short answer is no; child support and parenting time are separate legal issues. It helps to understand why you should still pay child support, even when parental time is restricted. Luckily, with the help of a legal team, you can address the situation.

Why child support and parental time are separate 

Child support is a financial obligation for both parents to contribute to the basic needs of their children. The court calculates child support based on income and parenting time, not parenting time rights.

Denied parental time, while a frustrating tactic, shouldn’t deprive your child of financial support. In fact, consistently paying child support demonstrates your commitment to your child’s well-being, even when faced with challenges.

What you can do if parenting time is restricted

While you can’t withhold child support, there are steps you can take to address the parenting time issue. You can begin by carefully examining your existing custody agreement. Does it outline specific parenting time rights? Suppose your ex is violating the agreement. In that case, you may have grounds to file a petition for modification.

Additionally, keep a detailed record of all attempts to contact your children or schedule parenting time. This documentation can be crucial if you need to go to court.

While denial of parenting time can be frustrating, it’s important to understand that child support and parenting time are separate issues in Pennsylvania. Nevertheless, continue paying child support to fulfill your financial obligation and document any attempts to exercise your parenting time rights. You can seek legal guidance to address parenting time restrictions.